Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Beowulf Boast


My students have been reading Beowulf lately, and one of their projects was to create an Anglo-Saxon style boast like Beowulf's as he comes into Heorot for the first time. The ones my students came up with were very good, as they always are, but this year, they asked me to make one. I wasn't going to do it, but since both classes asked, I guess I will oblige. Since I don't have anything of merit to share today, I thought you might get a kick out of it, too.

Hail to the Senior Class!

I, Cygnus of the _____ clan,
Born in the land of red clay, pine trees, and kudzu,
Descendant of Irish poets and Apache warriors,
Teacher and child of teachers,
A daughter of the Deep South, stand before you,
a modern-day Prometheus
Bringing books of brain-broadeners to bored teens.

I am a modern-day Earthstepper
And I cover continents in a stride.
The Land of the Rising Sun housed my heart for two years
Leaving was a loss I still feel.
The soil of England, Ireland, Wales, Costa Rica, and Thailand have I also trodden
Their stone dances, dolmens, volcanoes, and Buddhas
jewels of experience to turn over in the light of memory.
Daily I dream of other destinations to feed my desire
To see and know this beautiful world.

I have made mighty music with my fingers,
Earned an academic award or two,
Pursued the prize for two degrees in the Lands of the Bulldogs and the Hoosiers,
Taught my native tongue to those who have traveled far to learn it,
Claimed the king’s gold in poetry competitions,
Won the heart of a fierce, fast, and free canine companion,
And returned to tell the tale to those who have ears to hear.

Now, I will face the fierce class before me
Full of fascinating facts to offer
I will take care of what and who are mine,
Fighting buffoons in the hall
And living by my favorite phrase, spoken by India’s son,
“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

7 comments:

  1. this is just awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I am a teacher and can feel myself in your boast! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:03 PM CDT

    I had no idea how to go about writing a boast but yours has inspired me. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:31 PM CST

    Thanks for posting this, it really helped me figure out the format for my Beowulf Boast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:10 PM CDT

    This is amazing and creative! Helped me a lot in structuring and creating ideas for my own boast. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:17 PM CST

    I'm actually just about to begin writing a Beowulf Boast due tomorrow, and I am truly inspired by this example Boast, or masterful literary work! In a bashful world of beings who boast you are the Beast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found these boasts to be very "inspirational" to "writing" my "own".

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....