Monday, February 04, 2008

Stand (Mixer) ing Up for Myself


I finally did it. The last piece of the bridal registry that I had so long held out for, the last big box that I had one day hoped to rip white and silver paper off at a church shower is now sitting in my kitchen waiting to be opened up, unpacked, and plugged in. I have an Empire Red KitchenAid Artisan mixer waiting to make sour cream pound cakes, whipped potatoes, and whatever other damn thing my little heart desires. Complicated cakes and breads? That's what it's made for. Jell-O instant pudding at midnight? The glossy beast will serve. Water swirling in pretty whirlpools just to see the gleaming beaters spiral? Too right, missy. I feel a little bit of the same sort of power madness that a Charger instills in me, and this thing doesn't even have a Hemi.

I've waited years for this. I've watched my friends one by one, get one, either with husband or after husband, and I've drooled over them (the mixers, not the husbands) in the stores but never been willing or able to fork over the hunk of money required to bring one home (again, the mixer, not the husband). As the big 3-2 approaches, though, I am laying aside the last of the bridal dreams. If I don't stand (mixer) up for myself now, I may spend the rest of my life with my nose pressed up against the store window when I could be at home making pound cakes. Today, I officially chose pound cakes.

Tomorrow, I will hie myself off to a grocery store to buy the strictly non-diet-friendly ingredients I need for the sour cream pound cake I love but haven't made in over a year. I will take out the beautiful Bundt pans my parents have bought me for birthdays over the years, including the one shaped like a rose, the mini-bundts, and the one with the spiky, star-like top, and I am going to bake like a crazy woman. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'll take the results, good, bad, or indifferent to school Wednesday so my house doesn't fill up with edible temptation. Man, this is going to be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on this purchase. Just so you will know what an great investment this machine is, mine was purchased in 1982 and except for being a little louder than it was at first, is still going strong 25 1/2 years later. Its not red though, plain white, worn in spots like the velveteen rabbit, seriously loved.

    I've got one of those castle cake pan and the rose too. Use LOTS of baking spray and for goodness sake, be patient and let it cool enough so you don't leave your turrets stuck in the pan, like I do way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great. I was amazed, but it didn't stick at all. I coated that pan with so much Baker's Joy that it never had a chance to. The pound cake itself got me a faux marriage proposal, so I suppose it was good, too. If only getting real ones was that easy.....

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....