Thursday, July 30, 2009

Taking Care of Business

I'm in an Elvis-y mood tonight, as you can probably tell from the title...

Anyway, after sleeping almost all day yesterday and until about 10:30 today because of feeling so horribly yesterday, I got up today with plenty of energy to take care of some long-overdue work. I called BellSouth and DirecTV about service issues I'm having and got those two things lined up for repair, and then I started the monumental effort of cleaning this house. Since perfect strangers will be coming to the house to do things, Southern Guilt dictates that the house must be clean. Never mind that it never looks like this at any other time of the year/week/will not look like this thirty minutes after they leave....

I swear, even though I know it's probably not a needed expense, if I could somehow squeeze it into my meager budget, a cleaning service would be the first luxury I'd spring for. I hate having to do heavy cleaning by myself. The little stuff is bad enough, fixtures, vacuuming, and whatnot, but the big cleaning, steam cleaning, bucket mopping, dusting, furniture polish, etc., is a nightmare. If I had the money, I would gladly, happily, gleefully give it to somebody else for the privilege of getting out of this stuff or even having help. Maybe this is why people have kids? (just kidding...don't throw things...)

I don't do it nearly as often as it probably needs, just to be honest. Once the school year gets rolling, I just try to keep a path through the house so the piles don't fall over and crush me or the animals, and survival becomes the order of the day. During the school year, in fact, I don't even want people to come in the house because it's such a horrid mess.

Right now, it's a little better than half done. I got the heavy vacuuming and steam cleaning done today, and that's one of the worst of the big jobs. Tomorrow, I'll start the day with the mopping and get the worst of what's left done first, and then everything that's left will just be finish work. I'm just grateful I've got enough flexibility back in my leg to allow me to do all this myself now and enough energy to be able to take care of my business myself. When it's all done, I'll be able to sit back and bask in how nice everything looks for the five minutes it lasts until a cat and/or a dog mess it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....