Thursday, July 12, 2007

If Only

YouTube - Absolut - Protest

I saw the Absolut commercial tonight where there is a huge crowd gathered in protest behind police lines. If you haven't seen it, you can access it at the link above. I had seen it before, but tonight, maybe because of the increasingly bad and violent news from what seems like every corner of the world, foreign AND domestic, it struck me differently.

When the woman in the group of protesters runs forward and beans the cop with the feather pillow, I thought, "If only... if only that was the way we could resolve our differences." If only we could find a way to disagree without escalating to bloodshed. If only the only victims were feather pillows.

Why can't we figure out some way to simply get along? I don't think we all have to agree on everything. I don't think we need one system to rule the world. I just wish we could find some place of mediation, some place of tolerance where we could believe what we want and not take up arms, not end lives, not destroy nations over differences.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we woke up one day and all the guns had become fat feather pillows?

1 comment:

And then you said.....