Saturday, May 30, 2009

Huginn Arrives


"Every morning the two ravens Huginn and Muninn, are loosed and fly over Midgard; I always fear that Thought may not wing his way home, but my fear for Memory is greater."
-- Odin, From Grímnismál

Earlier this year, I was named STAR teacher by one of my wonderful students, and I was surprised to learn that there was a check that came with that. I pondered for quite some time as to what I should use that money for. I wanted it to be something lasting and something that I could use in relation to school as befitted an award given for teaching. Since my school laptop weighs a ton and has started dying at intervals, I decided to explore netbooks. The result currently perches on my lap, sleek, black, light, and lovely.

In keeping with my tendency to name things either literarily or mythologically, I chose to name it Huginn. Paired with my 500 G Seagate Freeagent Muninn, I now have both Thought and Memory working together, and what a pair they are. The netbook is an MSI Wind, and it's wonderfully fast. I am still in the process of updating everything and getting all my programs loaded on, but so far, I love it. I can't believe how nice it is not to have all that weight sitting on my lap! This is what computing should be, light, portable, and simple. If I need a workhorse, I have a desktop in the back for big stuff.

The keyboard is taking a little getting-used-to, but to be honest, it's not all that much smaller than usual. I had a wireless mouse, and I attached it. It's much better than the touchpad for most things. I ordered a skin from skinit, so when it gets here Huginn will look good, too.

I'm looking forward to a pleasant summer of recovery and convenient computing. It will be a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....