Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Red Thread

I recently encountered this Chinese proverb, and the idea of it sort of fascinates me.  It is akin to the idea of a soulmate in Western culture, the idea that there is one person out there who is meant.  It also integrates to me a bit of the Fates or Norns, the spinners of the years.  So many things come together here.  I like the idea of all of us with red strings connecting us to one other, with those bits of scarlet stretching and pulling as we orbit to and away from that person, that bond we're not even conscious of there all the time just waiting until the right time to make itself noticed.  It reminds me of the Punch Brothers song "Don't Get Married Without Me."

As I turned it over in my mind, I started to wonder if there might not be strings of other types, maybe other colors for other bonds, if you like.  Maybe we are tied to all sorts of people, not just lovers.  I can imagine having a web of rainbow string that connects us to the people we need and the people we're meant to keep, the people who fit us and into whose lives we're meant to stay.  There's just something about it that's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....