Friday, April 08, 2005

A Taste of the Good Stuff

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." -- Malcolm S. Forbes

I had the best day today. It started out stressful as I was trying to hook my laptop to my class TV for PowerPoint presentations. As usual in such situations, my laptop was uncooperative, and I was scrambling to fill the gaps with something while I worked. I finally borrowed the office's super projector thing, used the school's laptop (yes, we only have the one...we're a poor school), and got the presentation running. The kids were so into the presentations.

I gave a PP on the Civil Rights Movement and on the Jim Crow laws of the 30's to help them understand Mockingbird better. I had prepared the PPs for teaching Mockingbird in Japan, but the same material worked with my 10th graders.

I couldn't get over how involved they became. They were asking questions and all of them were awake and interested. For those of you unfamiliar with the world of modern secondary education, that in and of itself is a minor miracle. I encouraged them as much as possible to go home and talk to the people living in their own houses and communities who had lived through these events, and I saw some of them who probably never considered those people as anything except for "old" look consideringly.

After the PPs, they broke up into Reading Circle discussion groups where every person has a different facet of the material to present. I was unsure of how well they'd do or if they'd do the work involved, but all but 6 all day long did it, and by some miracle, even if it was only the miracle of the new, they enjoyed it. I felt almost reborn. It was almost like teaching in the college ESL programs in Indiana or Japan.

They left talking about the materials they'd seen. They left curious to read more. I have students who came to me with no interest in reading who are eagerly plowing their way through this book, and I'm so proud of them I could cry. It's not anything that I'm doing, but it's what they're discovering they're capable of themselves. It's what they are finally looking around and seeing in the world other than the trivialities of teenhood. I am so happy for them!

At the same time, I feel kind of like an anxious gardener with a tender new planting before me. I am worried that it won't take. I am worried that some harsh weather will come to shrivel it before its roots grow deep enough to support and nourish. I know not all of them will care, but to have some of them so interested is like a gift from God. Maybe I can make a small difference somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM CDT

    Haven't seen the whole thing (episode 3), but it covered stuff I never knew about -- laws, court rulings, systematic racism outside of the south. Stunning. Maybe your library has a copy or could get one for you.

    http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm

    http://www.newsreel.org/nav/title.asp?tc=CN0149

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website (The PBS one) has some amazing stuff in it. I've been reading the Race Time Line, and there's so much I didn't know. I didn't realize how much of a "modern" concept race is. Very cool. Very worthy of your time. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....