Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Forgotten

I have been thinking now for some time of doing a series of dramatic monologues based upon carvings that I have seen in various places that I've been.  The first one of these came to me when I was in the church of Santa Croche in Florence.  I have been tumbling this one over and over in my head for over a year now, and I took my first stab at it.  Feedback would be most greatly appreciated.  I have included a picture that I took of the carving itself so you know what I'm talking about.  Santa Croche is the church in Florence that houses the remains of Dante, Machiavelli, Galileo, DaVinci, and too many other geniuses to shake a stick at. 
________________________________________

 
The Forgotten

based upon a worn tomb carving in Santa Croche in Florence, Italy

It must be admitted
this is not how I imagined
the long wait for the glorious trumpet’s Last Call.

In the quiet darkness after the cameras are gone
they mock my choices from around the walls
from their elaborate monuments
Dante, Galileo, even that wretched, toadying politician.
I shift my shoulders philosophically
under my satin-smooth slab and sigh.
These things, after all, they do happen…

Laid to rest at Santa Croche’s altar
covered with my own image in such delicate carving
and three colors of Florentine glory
I rested head and feet on tassled stone pillows
crossed hands on flowing robes
knowing every penitent kneeling
would marvel and aspire to the beatific peace they saw
as I slept my little while.

It is no soft prayer that intrudes on my dreaming now.
Hurrying feet in soft rubber soles erase my identity
as they rush past seeking not heaven
but the exit, the gift shop, the rest room
Each presses lightly, indifferently into my chest
wearing a hole just where the heart should be.

A long crack slowly opens
halving my right foot
creeping toward the black border
where “Resurgat” still dimly gleams
stained stone script still unvanquished.

If they do not remember me here,
if no line forms to see this resting place,
if Time with every passing year his chisel removes
some further trace of my remaining earthly vanity
I take some comfort in this:
I am always near to God and known unto Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....