Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tilt-a-Whirl

For a day with no students, yesterday was incredibly busy.  I started the day by cobbling together a summer reading brochure and did the necessary dance steps/divine invocations to get it printed and into report cards in the tiny fragment of a year we have remaining.  It went out much later than I would have liked, but, drawing on one of my favorite kid quotes of the year, "Sometimes it just be that way."

I started work on the program for the National Honor Society induction for Thursday as well, changing out what I could and putting in all the names of candidates that I have so far.  Students continued to run in throughout the day waving forms.  The deadline was not until the end of the day yesterday.  I will have a few stragglers today.  This is just the way these things go.  I will finalize that this afternoon before I leave and print it, one less thing to worry about tomorrow.

In addition to the program, I took care of printing individual student certificates for each inductee.  We try to make it nice, and these things are heavy paper with a gold seal.  They come from the national organization.  It takes time to get it all done, but I think it is worth it.

I did all of this, every last piece of it, feeling like the living dead.  There were moments when the room was doing a merry little flamenco complete with castanets and swirly skirt.  I would stop, put my head on the back of my chair, and just hold onto the arms until the ride stopped or at least slowed down a little.  There's nothing like having your own personal roller coaster ride, I guess.  Actually, if I were to compare it to a carnival attraction, it was more like a Tilt-a-Whirl, that pause and spin, pause and spin......

It's funny.  As a kid, I always loved the Tilt-a Whirl.  It was one of my "must rides" at the fair.  I absolutely loved the swoop and dive of the spinning cars.  I've discovered that it's just not as much fun when there are no lights, no bright colors, and no machinery moving me.  Tilt-a-Whirl courtesy of big bad crap going on inside my body is not cool at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....