Sunday, January 07, 2007

Ella

I got a new CD Thursday from Amazon. It's called Ella for Lovers and is a part of Verve's massive re-releasing of their catalog. It's great. Of course, with her voice, how could it not have been?

I've loved Ella Fitzgerald for years. She was one of the first jazz vocalists I discovered. Her voice has a beauty of feeling that informs every note. I imagine each sound like a perfectly-cut jewel shimmering in the air.

I have probably five cds of just her works from various periods and labels. Of course, one of my very favorites is the collection I have of her and Louis Armstrong, but this disc is a good addition to my collection of her works, too, because so many of the songs are simply her, a piano, and perhaps a guitar. It's good rainy-day music, and since today is another rainy Sunday, I'm looking forward to a pleasant day of reading 1984 and listening to her heavenly voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....