Sunday, January 21, 2007

Oddness

At church tonight, our pastor was reminding the youth and their parents about summer's camp plans, and he mentioned the fact that Gulfshore, the Baptist camp on the coast where I spent almost every summer, was completely gone. I knew it had taken massive damage from Katrina, but I thought some part of it had survived. I thought I was going to cry. One more splinter of my childhood gone forever, I suppose.

Life has been odd lately. I have missed two days in my classroom because of an editing job for some stuff at school. Just being at school in my room without my students has been really weird. I've missed them. Even though they quite frequently wear me out, their absence was uncomfortable. I hope the job I did was useful, though.

Men have been odd lately, too. It seems that the interesting ones I meet are all GEMINI -- gay, engaged, married, insane, or not interested. This town and what passes for its dating pool constantly depress me. As Madame De Stael said, "The more I see of men, the more I like my dog."

Hopefully this week things will stabilize a little. I have a lot of Hemingway I've got to read for one of my night classes, and an assignment for the other, so I guess I need to get to it.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard the GEMINI thing before, made me laugh. Although, bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days I'm sad about it, but most days, I am happily busy enough not to care too much. It would be nice to have someone who can talk to come home to, but if that's not in the cards for me, at least I have a furry menagerie waiting to be petted, fed, and tucked into the blanket on the end of the couch.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....