Monday, December 24, 2007

Drafted

So last night when I showed up to warm up for evening services, our music director and an assortment of others were playing various stringed instruments in preparation for special music. I suddenly found myself drafted to be the vocal segment. Our choir director is stealthy and subtle that way. All of a sudden, one just sort of finds one's self in front of the congregation holding a microphone a little uncertain of how one got there.

I actually like to sing. I sing all the time in my car, in my house, in my classroom when all the students are gone at the end of the day. I sing going to work and while I'm cleaning the house. It's a different thing, though, to stand up in front of the whole church, even though it's composed of people I have known all my life, and sing. I get so nervous.

These songs were some of my favorites, though, and that helped. I sang "What Child Is This?" and "Silent Night", my two favorite Christmas songs, and we also did "Joy to the World", too. I don't know about the quality of the music I produced, but the feeling and the sentiment were certainly there. Since the Psalms simply say that God wants us to make a joyful noise, hopefully God was pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....