Sunday, March 09, 2008

Complications

I like things very streamlined. Maybe it's the Aquarius in me. I have a very logical and structured life, and I can turn most things over in my mind until I understand them, until I can separate them into their component pieces, digest them and break them down. Things that don't follow that pattern, that don't allow me to resolve them in this way, frustrate me to no end.

Yesterday, I found a wrinkle in the fabric of my tidy little life. Someone I thought I knew, I found I may not know at all. I suppose this happens all the time. I could wax philosophical, I guess. "Do we ever really know anyone? Blah, blah, blah..." The thing is, I really did think that I did know this person, at least somewhat. I'm not claiming a soul-deep bond, but I felt that I had a basic understanding of a personality, of the core values and appreciations, I guess. All of that was jerked out from under me yesterday like a tablecloth from under a place setting by an amateur magician. You've all seen the results of that. Broken china everywhere....

My mind has been grinding on this since it happened, turning the shards over again and again, but I can't resolve the issue. I thought this person and I had so much in common. Do we? I can't tell anymore. What's the truth? Is the person I knew before the real one? Was yesterday a misreading? If the image I saw yesterday was the true one, then I have been so wrong about so much. I'm simply going to have to pick up those broken pieces and make a decision, I guess, about whether the relationship in question is still worth gluing together and putting back on a shelf or whether it's time to put all those pieces in the trash for good. I'm confused, and there's really nothing I hate more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no. What happened?

    That is a powerful poem and I can relate.



    Is that Riverside Shakespeare big and green? That is the one I have, somewhere. My biggest ever college professor crush was on my Shakespeare teacher. He was from Wales and ooohhh, did I like hearing him speak. I did enjoy my appointments.

    His wife, who was this wild, blowsy, super tall, Lucille-Ball-redhead, taught French. Once I heard him speaking French to her in his Welsh accent. I almost died. So, I still have my Shakespeare book.

    For the plays, of course.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....