Monday, July 02, 2012

A Taste of Bloomington

Making mead is tough: the bee stings, the jousting, the suits of armor.  But for you, the loyal consumer of this royal beverage, it is worth the pain and suffering to deliver a mead of such great smoothness and classic honey flavor. So the next time you set out to discover new continents or to plunder a neighboring country,  provision yourself with plenty of Camelot Mead. 
~ Oliver Winery Website

When I was last in Bloomington, I bought several bottles of wine from Oliver Winery.  I had loved them when I lived in Bloomington, and at present, thanks to the screwed-up laws of the beautiful state of Mississippi, it is not possible to get their products here or have them shipped in.  As I finally got off the Topamax last week, I celebrated by opening a bottle of my favorite, Camelot Mead.  It's been waiting on me for quite awhile....

Oliver has been making this particular beverage since 1972.  I've not had mead from anywhere else, so my basis of comparison is small, but I do really love the way this tastes.  It is sweet without being cloying, and it is just better to me than most white wines.  Maybe it's the honey that does it.  I am not enough of an oenophile to know.  I would really love to be able to get it all the time, but as it stands, I'm rationing out the bottles I brought home with extreme care.

I love Oliver in general.  I love the story about it being started by one of IU's law professors as a hobby and now existing as one of the largest wineries in the eastern US.  I have never tried one of their wines that I did not like.  If you have the ability to go to Oliver or live in a state that isn't silly about its importation laws, I would suggest you try any of their wines, but most especially the Camelot Mead.  Hopefully, I will be able to get back to Bloomington (for so many reasons a happy place) and pick up some more for myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....