Saturday, July 30, 2005

HGTV Junkie

"You should see...what's on HGTV" -- commercial tagline, HGTV

As you can tell from the quote, tonight's post will be light and fluffy. I haven't done any light and fluffy in awhile, and even though I am still turning some pretty heavy stuff over in my mental rock tumbler, I am tired of writing about it. Therefore, I have chosen a topic which can't possibly turn into angst: HGTV.

I have an addiction to watching HGTV. I love to watch people transform their houses. My favorite shows are Design Remix, Design on a Dime, and Decorating Cents. There are about a hundred other shows, but I don't really watch them that much.

As I've said in other posts, I live in an old house. The last remodel on it was done in the mid-70s, so I have lots of orangy carpet and light colored pine paneling. Fortunately, my Granny was a lady with vision and taste, and I also have a fairly open floor plan. The original house had lots of tiny little rooms, but she did away with lots of walls so the living space, kitchen, and dining area all flow together.

Also previously pointed out, I teach and therefore have NO money ever. This makes overhauling my house problematic at best. I would like to rip out all the paneling and put up sheet rock. I'd love to have hardwood floors and some carpet that is younger than I am. I really want one of those deep spa jet tubs in my bathroom and something other than the faux marble patterned cabinet tops. I want the ceilings raised and plastered. I have a whole list of things I want to accomplish.

However, since I have no money, no help, and very little experience with construction and power tools, I mostly work on small changes right now. I have repainted my office and am planning to put in some shelves a la Mission Organization. I have used baskets for storage per the advice of Design on a Dime, and, although it's not really an HGTV show, Clean Sweep has inspired me to sort, file, and discard.

The shows give me inspiration. They also help me feel like big changes are possible even if I don't have professional assistance or lots of money. They make me feel that I can continue to make my house more and more my home. I love them for that.
Very few things make me feel as good as finishing one of my little projects and seeing that part of my house come together to reflect my personality and be a welcoming space for others. My house is probably my most important sanctuary.

Working on the house also makes me feel tied to my grandmother. It seemed she was always redoing things. My cousins and I used to move furniture for her all the time. She was always redesigning the front guest bedroom or sewing new drapes. I guess maybe I got this urge to rearrange my nest from her. It makes me feel that she'd approve whenever I finish a project and it comes out well.

For all these reasons, I enjoy HGTV. I may not be able to make my room look as good as they do after an episode of Design Remix, but I always feel inspired. Instead of looking around at my house and seeing limitations and dated furnishings, I see potential and ways to go from 70's blah to "retro". Long live HGTV and their happy, smiling, kind hosts and hostesses. Long live all of us who are trying to make juice with the fruits we've been given. (I won't call my house a lemon, but you know what I mean....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....