Saturday, November 05, 2005

Ages and Ages

Obviously, I haven't been faithful to my resolution to keep writing daily. I've come to accept the fact that, at least for this school year, my blogging is going to be sporadic at best. The AP curriculum consumes almost every moment I spend online, and I've been sick a lot lately, so there hasn't actually been that much online time at home. It's been more of a come home and fall down time.

A couple of interesting things are going on right now, though. A friend of mine from work gave me a copy of a book full of places to get my poetry published. Apparently, the book is published every year, is reliable, and is well known. I had a duh moment. Why the heck didn't it occur to me that there would be a resource like that? I haven't had a chance to do much more than browse through it, but I'm excited. During the upcoming holiday breaks, I'm going to try to start sending poems out. If nothing else, maybe I can get some quality feedback to help me refine.

The second thing is really BIG. I am about to start major repairs on my house. Katrina did a number on my roof, and it has to be replaced. It was old to start with, and having 100 mph winds didn't help. The financial implications of this are staggering. I'll be okay, and it's a workable situation, but never before has the mantle of "adulthood" weighed so heavily on my shoulders.

In fact, lately, I've felt that leaden cape dragging me down further and further. I can't help but feel, however irrationally, that signing the requisite paperwork in the next few days is going to be like Faustus signing the Devil's contract in his own blood. (Since I just got through teaching Marlowe's play, I see Mephistopheles around every corner these days...)

Once I sign and once I begin this work, I will be clipping my own wings. It will be a commitment to stay in this job, to stay in this town. Never again will I be able to pick up and go abroad for a year or two. Never again will I be free. I am trying to look at it in terms of obligations, in terms of blessings, in any terms but the terms of a cage door swinging shut, and most of the time I can focus on these other worthy things, but sometimes, especially right before I go to bed, I can hear the squeaking hinges, and I ache between my shoulderblades where those feathers used to be. It's not the money; it's the limiting of choice.

It's foolish to wish for everything. As my father is so fond of saying, "Wish in one hand and spit in the other. See which one fills up fastest." I just wish I didn't sometimes have this terrible, panicky sense of entrapment.

There's a song by David Wilcox called "A Young Man Dies." It deals with him looking through old photographs and finding one of himself at a much younger age. The chorus says, "In the years it takes to make one man wise, a young man dies." I feel like this is the death of the "young" me. That seems highly melodramatic, even to me, but in some ways, I think it's also very true.

So what comes next? Heck if I know. I'll make some changes, fix some things, go on teaching...all those little things that won't matter at all to anyone else but me. I'm committing to this path. Hopefully I can look back later and be satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Hee! My dad had the same saying, except he changed *one* letter in the word *spit*. He could play "My Heart Bleeds for You" on the world's smallest violin too, but always with a loving grin and a hug.

    Now, *never* is a serious word and I know just how you are feeling. But its not the narrowing of choices, really, its a change of categories and priorities. You may not feel free to leap continents on a whim, but that does not mean you are tied to your porch rails. It means you will figure out a way to do what is most important to you.

    I'm a firm believer that when one door closes, God opens another. Sometimes its hard to find the new door as I have my eyes scrunched closed, but I believe its there.

    One time, while I was in grad school, I went out and got two kittens from the shelter, brought them home and then sat on the couch with my head in my hands, thinking, "now what did I do that for?" No more spontaneous camping trips! Litter boxes! Vet bills!

    When I brought my only baby home from the hospital, I lay her on the bed and just stood there in shock almost. "What am I supposed to DO?" I am only a (31year old) child myself! How do I keep her alive? fed? safe?"

    I'm infinitely glad I had both the kittens and the baby. But my available choices changed, and in the short and long run, much to my betterment.

    I believe you have more choices than you can imagine right now. I know that taking out a large loan for your house repairs is scary. That kind of commitment is heavy. But there are ways to tackle a debt and get rid of it as fast as possible. You will NOT always be tied to it. You will be in control.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....