Sunday, January 14, 2007

Elvis

I am on a serious Elvis kick right now. I took a three-CD set and selected twenty something songs to make one portable CD that I've been driving around to non-stop for the past week. I think it's probably impossible to be sad listening to "Return to Sender" and "You're So Square." I have found myself arriving at school in a much better mood since I've been listening to Elvis on the way in.

The 3 CD set was chronological, so the collection I made goes from early to late, and it's interesting to hear the changes in the music over time. I added two remixes, one for "Rubberneckin'" and one for "A Little More Action," that I downloaded from Wal-Mart's website.

Elvis' voice, and this is probably a "duh" statement, is such a pleasure to listen to. When you start stacking him up against most of the so-called singing stars around today (for some reason, Justin Timberlake and his pale, weak self comes to mind), it really starts to make you wonder just how these people got recording contracts. I guess though, that's probably a little unfair. After all, there's only ever been one King. I am going to continue to enjoy his gorgeous voice in my commuting.

2 comments:

  1. I know the comparison is off a little, but I feel this way about Van Morrison. The so-called today singers that my daughter likes, I think, hogwash and drivel, if I can manage that much praise.

    Elvis - I saw all those movies when I was young(er), when they came out. Nothing was more exciting to me and my girlfriends that to be dropped off downtown at the theater for an afternoon with the coolest guy on earth.

    I'm reading the new Greg Iles book, True Evil. I just started this morning and feel it calling me back to the couch. Have you read that one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Van Morrison, too. My favorite one by him is "Moondance."

    I haven't read that Greg Iles yet. I'm waiting for paperback very, very impatiently. I know it's good. All of his are.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....