Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Details

I'm sewing my life together with the details. I know that sounds strange, and explaining why I need to do that right now would be too complex to go into here, and quite frankly, not something I'm sure I want to do. That in and of itself is odd, because I used to come to this blog as an outlet for everything that I needed to think through. I think this somehow became too public last year when some students found it, and now each time I sit down to write about the things that are closest to me, I find that I can't do it anymore here. It doesn't really bother me for my friends to read me, but somehow, what happened last year makes me feel like someone is spying in the windows of my house with a telephoto lens waiting to catch something compromising or ridiculous.

So, without going into details, I feel hollow lately. To combat it, I am frantically filling the time and the emptiness with work. I have spent long hours in my new classroom getting in ready, torn down the old bulletin board in the hall outside my room and mostly redone it, made a million lists of things still to be purchased or done before school begins, and fiddled endlessly with other preschool details such as handouts. I have tweaked and retweaked my BlackBerry to the point that it is radically different almost every day, and I have been on the verge of upgrading its OS to a beta version of 4.5 numerous times until the fear of bricking my Berry stopped me.

The creeping empty can be held back with furious activity. I can hold it back with tv and good books, too, sometimes. As long as the gears in my mind spin on idle, as long as they don't engage, things are okay. I wish I could purge it. I wish I could run out in the yard, throw back my head, howl at the moon, dance in the wet grass, and feel the empty go away, but instead, I fold another load of clothes. Instead of just heading my car off into the horizon and driving until I'm somewhere else, I come back up the driveway and mow the grass, endless circles going nowhere leaving ordered paths behind me.

I feel like a shadow of who I used to be, and I hate that feeling. I look at photos of myself from when I was in graduate school or overseas, and it's like I'm staring into the eyes of another person. I really miss her, too. I wish I knew what to do to get that feeling of wholeness and confidence back. I'm tired of having to fabricate things to keep my mind off the dark corners. I'd rather throw some light into them and drive the shadows away for good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this hurts my heart for you. I'm pretty sure I understand how you feel. In a way, I thought that by now, I'd be more mellow and that I'd have a certain freedom that I can't see coming. I wonder why I can't feel more grateful for how good it all actually is and why I watch the little imperfections so closely rather than just feel the beat.

    That image is jumbled, but I'm going to leave it.

    I don't mean to sound flip about your post, but I have to ask...what happens when you "brick your blackberry".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your concern. I'm better today. I had a good cry last night, and that sort of reset the system. Sometimes all the darkness just sort of builds up, and I guess a good storm helps to chase it away.

    As for "bricking the Berry," that means that you screw one up with software so badly that it becomes useless like a brick and has to be completely reformatted and reloaded. I've never bricked mine, but I know that lots of Berry addicts who have tried to upgrade to this new operating system in its early stages bricked theirs but good due to compatibility problems with the OS's early beta versions. I am planning to upgrade mine when the OS is officially released later this year, so I guess I'll get to see if I can do it then.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....