Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Bonfire

You got a lot of lovers with star-crossed wrists

They keep a candle burning on the corner you kissed.
One day I might die, until then there's too much to do
But I'll keep a bonfire for you.



I've seen the pretty boys that you're keeping around
I know how it goes, I've got a girl in town.
And she likes me enough to do what I like to do.
But, I'll keep a bonfire for you.



Let the other lovers talk about who carries the torch
Let them talk about the beauty that they carry it for
Let the other lovers talk about who got what
And who got burned and who got cut



I'll be in the orchard when you get tired
Day after day of the shouts from the choir
Eating the apples and eating the peaches, too
And waiting by my bonfire for you.



In the dark anybody will do for love
But you're the only one I want when the sun comes up
No burning ball of fire set in the sky will do
Next to my bonfire for you.



Let the other lovers talk about who carries the torch
Let them talk about the beauty that they carry it for
Let the other lovers talk about who got what
And who got burned and who got cut



I need a little motion, need a little relief
I get a little lonely at the end of the week
And I want it so bad and if you want it so bad, too
I'll be over here with my bonfire for you.



You got a lot of lovers with star-crossed wrists
They keep a candle burning on the corner you kissed.
One day I might die, until then there's too much to do
But I'll keep a bonfire for you.

~ "Bonfire" - Josh Ritter
________

I love just about everything I've heard by Ritter, but there are certain songs of his that always feel like they were more or less stolen right out of my own thoughts.  (Of course, if this is the case, he's dressing them up in prettier clothing than they had when they were with me.  Heh.)

This song, "Bonfire," is one of those I identify with closely.  Switch some genders here and there, and it's just about the situation I find myself in.  I like the fact that he's not pining and following. Others might thrive on the drama of "star-crossed wrists," but I, like the speaker in the song, am just much more comfortable taking care of life, hanging out in the orchard.

 There is tremendous personal truth for me in the line "One day I might die, until then there's too much to do."  I'm busy.  I have a ridiculous schedule and probably will for the rest of my life.  It's not conducive to marriage or happy homelife.  I've known that for a long time.  Who would put up with me leaving early in the morning and not coming home until after 6:00 most nights?  Who would willingly suffer the slings and arrows of being married to a teacher?  I'm not sure that I really expect anybody to.

That doesn't really prevent me from keeping that bonfire going.  Just because I don't think it will work out doesn't seem to be a deterrent to feeling.  I understand that "bonfire" level of desire all too well.  Candles are all well and good; they give some light and a certain aura of romance, I suppose. However, a candle's lifespan is limited before the match ever touches the wick.  I think a lot of relationships have that same quality. When you think about love, which would you really rather have - the temporary glamor, beauty of limited use and duration, or the permanent that provides on so many different levels?  

Bonfires may require work to make and work to keep them going but they give more heat, more light, more protection from all those things that hunt in the night. They are actually functional rather than decorative.  The metaphor is perfect, then.  Who wants a purely decorative love?  Is it really love at all? The speaker says no.  He has a girl whom he likes and who likes him well enough to "do what [he] likes to do," but this is presented as a necessity, a place-holder.  It's not the real deal, and he's not pretending that it is. He knows good and well he's only got a candle at the present.

This is the place the speaker and I diverge.  I'm not interested in candles.  I don't have the time for them.  I'm only interested in bonfires, I guess.  In fact, that metaphor can go right next to the Sonnet 116 ones as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway....  As you can tell, I've English Teachered this song more than once in my head.  This is probably a lot more thought than it was ever intended to evoke.  (Sorry for beating your song to death, Josh Ritter.)  This is almost certainly more thought than you really wanted to read.  For some reason, though, this was the thing I needed to say just now, so, as always, caveat emptor.  And now, I have some papers to grade and a bonfire to tend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....