Sunday, November 15, 2015

After Paris

I wonder if this is what it felt like living in the last days before World War I and World War II, this sense of things spinning out of control, this basic disrespect for the value of human life.  Even though we’re in the Centennial of WWI, I can’t help but feel we’re also living in the shadow of the next “war to end all wars.” 

The level of hatred I see displayed on Facebook on a routine basis is horrifying.  While I know there are tons of “trolls” who find some perverse amusement in stirring the hornet’s nest, I am not sure all these people are professing opinions for the shock value.  Everybody is afraid and angry, totally committed to demanding his/her own best even if it means cutting the other guy’s throat.  And then there are the people who actively search for a chance for that cutting to begin….

People online are arguing over whose tragedy is worse, who the cameras should be focused on.  It’s almost like some kind of hellish competition.  All over every social media outlet I use, this sort of faux superiority is pervasive, “Oh, you are posting in support of Paris?  Humph.  Well, I am CLEARLY a more developed and wonderful human than you.  I post about Beirut.”  “Oh, YOU’RE talking about BEIRUT? Racist! The only thing the news should be focused on is Mizzou.”  And it's endless.  The place names change, but the sense of vicious righteousness does not.  Where did this one-upmanship come from?  What do people think it’s going to accomplish?

Then there are those who use these horrible things for their own political grandstanding.  I have unfollowed five people on Facebook in the past two days and am within inches of disabling my account for a while because of all the finger pointing, fear mongering, and out-and-out lies. So few people seem to be trying to do anything about any of what’s happening other than use it as a club to bash their political opponent with.

And I’m the first to admit I don’t have answers.  I just wish people would use their brains and their hearts a little more, all people, and maybe together we could find some workable solution. 


I’m terribly afraid we’re past the point where that’s possible and only violence can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....