Monday, March 14, 2005

Salsa...not the dance

"Only real friends will tell you when your face is dirty." -- Sicilian Proverb

Last night after church I went out with some of my friends. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and were laughing, talking, and carrying on.

Then something that has never happened to me before in any restaurant happened. The waiter was bringing us a fresh bowl of salsa, and suddenly, I was liberally anointed with it from the shoulder to the waist. Never in any place I've ever been have I had food spilled on me by a person other than myself, especially by a person who puts food on tables for a living.

I just started laughing. I had no idea what else to do. I couldn't get angry. The poor little guy didn't do it on purpose. The guy I was sitting with also caught part of the salsa flood, and all four of us were about to fall over we were laughing so hard. I think the waitstaff thought we were going to make a huge scene, but why do that? If it wasn't deliberate and it wasn't on-fire-hot, why fuss at somebody who was already upset over it?

It was the perfect ending to a long day of being rained on and hailed on while hunting for my insane cat outside. After we swabbed ourselves off with towels, we moved to a new table. Every thing the guy brought a dish to the table, we all flinched and looked at each other, then burst out laughing. It was a good memory, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....