Thursday, March 24, 2005

Spring Break

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." -- Margaret Atwood

This week is Spring Break for my school system. I have been taking care of all sorts of little jobs that have been piling up around the house. Many of those have been outdoor jobs.

I have never been much of a yard person. I am much more likely to be found sitting under a tree reading a book than digging and planting. That being said, since I finally came back home, I have been much more interested in gardening.

I'm still not into formal landscapes and heavy-duty earth moving, but for the last two days, I've been cleaning out overgrown flowerbeds and pruning shrubs. I have been designing flower beds in my mind and hauling topsoil. I have enjoyed it. One of the beds I reclaimed contains heirloom daylilies my grandmother planted. It still needs some work, but I planted some new ones to mix in, and the grass that had choked everything is no longer there.

I want to add some colorful trees later on. I want to add cherries and gingko to remind me of Japan. If I can find them, I also want to add a couple of dogwoods. They are some of my favorite spring trees.

Other old-fashioned plants I'd like to have are camellias and a gardenia. I think they are beautiful, and the gardenias are so fragrant.

I guess I am turning into a yard person after all. I never thought I would. I guess now that I have a place that is my own, I can see the point of the hard work. I'll still be found with a book under a tree, but now it will be a tree I put in the ground myself. :) Happy thought, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....