Tuesday, March 08, 2005

T Day Cometh

"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater." -- Gail Godwin

Tomorrow my kids will take the English II writing test. I have mixed emotions about it. Part of me, a very big part of me, is just so glad that the stupid thing is finally here. It has been ruling all our lives for the last two weeks. Another part of me is nervous for the kids. I have done the best I can for them, and all I can do now is sit back and wait for the results.

For the most part, I think they're ready. I just hope they don't get in to the testing room and freak out.

I can't believe how important these stupid tests are. Every facet of high school has been tarnished and sullied by the almighty testing agenda. I suppose there are arguments to be made in their favor. They have increased "accountability", whatever that is. I just hate seeing my kids shaking in their desks when they're told that they can't graduate without them.

There's a whole focus in education that "more is always better," and only the PTB's opinion of what "more" should be is valid. For the most part, I think education "experts" (my, there are so many quotation marks tonight) have been in their ivory towers too long. I wonder how many of them could last a full week in a real classroom. In theory, in the perfect environment, their ideas might be workable. When you've got kids who, for the most part, have never been taught the value of education and who are struggling with monumental survival issues as a matter of daily routine, some of the gilding gets knocked off those shiny golden dreams.

Tomorrow is another day of "theater" and education. I guess I need some sleep to prepare. I hope my kids are resting, too. Too much has to ride on tomorrow's essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....