Friday, January 28, 2011

Happy, D--n It.

If you want to be happy, be.  ~Leo Tolstoy

Yesterday, I decided that I was just going to be happy.  Come hell or high water, I was NOT going to allow the despairing blackness that has been sucking at my soul these past days and weeks to continue to pull me down.   I got up after a good night's rest, had a very decent breakfast courtesy of my trip to Sam's the night before, donned my Kentucky Shakespeare Festival sweatshirt, and went to school.


I listened to the Beatles on the way to school.  It's just about impossible to be upset when you listen to the Beatles.  I had music on at school, too, until class started.  Music always helps.  I made some clear-cut lists to get stuff processed, took care of as many little tasks as I could before school actually got started, and even graded entire classes of multiple choice tests during the class periods they were taken in.  


Most importantly, every time something stupid happened, I reminded myself to get perspective.  Reminded myself about what I am and am not responsible for.  What is and is not my fault, is and is not under my personal control.  I took a step back to consider what was worth the surge of emotion involved in feeling bad or angry, in allowing something to control me through that chain jerk of response.  


By the time late evening arrived, I was listening to the Rolling Stones and finishing up piles of work.  I left with a satisfied feeling.  The day was good because I grabbed it from the teeth of ridiculousness and ran away with it.  I'm going to have to keep doing that, I suppose, if I want any sort of peace at all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:15 PM CST

    This is very inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....