Saturday, January 15, 2011

Look What I Found

I got the good news that I'm going back to the AP Reading again this year, and I'm looking forward to it very much.  I found a list I made from last year's reading on a small notebook I carry with me, and I laughed at some of my observations.  "Acorn" is what I called myself because first-year readers had an acorn emblem on their badges last year to indicate that we were newbies.

Top Things I've Learned as an Acorn
  • Always bring a sweatshirt 
    • I almost froze.  Lots.  I finally bought one.I still almost froze.  This year, I'm taking Polarfleece.  And a hat. 
  • The surprising number of things you can do with a  yellow Post-It
    • Oh-so-much more than the makers originally intended....
  • People will cut you if there's no ice cream on Saturday afternoon.
    • Apparently, this is a sacrosanct tradition.  God help Food Service if they alter it....
  • Get to the convention center Starbucks EARLY.
  • It IS possible to hurt yourself badly enough to need medical aid while grading papers.
  • How to get "calibrated."
  • Cold Diet Mountain Dew, hard liquor, medical supplies, nail polish, batteries, office supplies (and all other things) can be purchased at CVS.
  • (really probably a codicil to the last) If you can't find somebody, they're at CVS.
  • The park where the Shakespeare Festival performs is TOO FAR away to walk to.  Really.
There were other little memories in there related to jokes from the actual table, but I won't put them here. I can't wait to go back this year.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....