Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Good Weekend

Of course there were other things I was supposed to be doing.  Duh.  When is there ever not?

I took the weekend for myself.  I had to.  After the headsplitter of last Thursday and the unexpected fallout from that on Friday, I needed something that was totally mine.

So, I read.  A lot.  I read two whole books this weekend, including the new Harry Dresden, Cold Days, by Jim Butcher.  Oh, it was wonderful.  I have about a hundred highlights in it.  Butcher is so freaking funny.  I would love to know him personally.  I think we might get along.

I also soaked myself in Nina Simone this weekend.  She will probably get a whole post unto herself soon.  I have liked the little bits of her that I have had forever.  I have had an album of hers in my download list for almost as long, but for some reason I kept putting off buying it.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  She is fan-damn-tastic.  Her voice joins Ella Fitzgerald's and Billie Holiday's in the realm of my favorites.  She can make you feel just by her intonation.  Add to that her classically-trained piano, and her music is beautiful.  Lethal.  Addictive.  Perfect.

I made the ornament wreath I've had planned for awhile.  I'm mostly satisfied with how it came out.  It felt good just to do it, whether it was perfect or not.  It feels good to have things completed instead of forever sitting around in piles waiting and making me feel guilty.

Right now, I'm going to finish the weekend out with a movie.  Since I'm wanting to go see The Hobbit (argh.  if only it weren't in 3-D.  I dread that.), I will probably watch one of the LotR movies.  I haven't seen the first one in a long time, and only bits and pieces of any of them on TBS/TNT in a while.  It will be good to watch them again.

Tomorrow will be a plunge back into the madhouse, but it's the last plunge for awhile if I can just make it through.  Surely I've had enough good to fortify me.  (here's hoping, anyway....)


No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....