Thursday, April 27, 2006

Silence

During seventh period today, my printer inexplicably stopped working. No, that's inaccurate. It works, but the printer carriage moves back and forth across the page only about every minute or so. I tried everything I knew to do to fix it. I went so far as to uninstall and reinstall the printer. I rebooted endlessly. The stinking thing is still messed up.

The only thing I know of that might have caused it, and for the life of me, I don't see how, is that I changed to a new print cartridge. To test that theory, I put the almost used up one back in, and, voila, happy but inkless printer. How is it possible for a cartridge to SNAFU a printer? I'll know for sure tomorrow when I put in the new "new" cartridge I purchased at Podunk's office supply store. I hope that's all it is. I really can't take another day of fighting with it.

I got so upset with it that I almost hurled it out the window. I don't respond well to inanimate defiance even when I'm well-rested and full of patience. I'm neither right now, so I am sure you can imagine.

When I walked out to the car, the silence was like aloe on a sunburn. I turned off the stereo and rode home. I could barely even tolerate the quiet sound of my car engine. Everything, every sound was like someone touching a bruised area. In fact, I still feel bruised.

It wasn't the printer, or at least, not mainly the printer. This week has been long and stressful. Even though the state test is over, it's going to take me some time to recover from the buildup to it. As you know, once the adrenaline stops pumping, the body truly reveals its weariness. I need some time to just sit under a tree or lay in the sun until this feeling passes. I know I won't be able to get it anytime soon. I just hope that I can continue to keep going on whatever tattered reserves I have left. I have a feeling that I'll need lots of afternoons of silence.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 PM CDT

    re: "I got so upset with it that I almost hurled it out the window."
    Because you are a poet, I would like to share a word that I learned a few years ago from a colleague, who used to threaten to throw his computer out the window:

    defenestrate -- v : throw through or out of the window

    Thought you might like to ruminate the possibility of having written, "I got so upset with the printer that I almost defenestrated it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this word, and I passed it along to my teacher buddies here on the hall. Now we can all threaten to defenestrate our students. Ah, the infinite loveliness of the right word at the right time....

    Thanks, DEG. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....