Thursday, October 26, 2006

Screaming with a Smile

There are things about school that sometimes make me want to throw my Shakespeare bobble head in a tote bag and go home before lunch. Often lately as I've been working with my classes, I've had the urge to close my book with the delicacy one would use in handling bone china, gently place the wooden stool I use with my speaker's stand in its place, blow out my candle, and pull the door soundlessly shut behind me. This softness would be the last mask before the true frustration emerges. It would be necessary because if it disappeared, all that would be left would be something that I couldn't live with.

It's the time of the year and the fact that I have three preps this year. Honestly, I love my kids. Some days, though, most days recently, they're treading on very thin ice. I get little sleep, have great stress, and get mortally weary of saying the same stupid things over and over. I am tired of student who strain at gnats and swallow camels. Apathy, after a very short time, becomes a physical pressure in the room.

This is a late-October teacher cry. Tomorrow, I'll go back to work, screaming with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....