Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Largely Useless Bliss

I did nothing over the holiday. I have spent an entire week resting, reading, and taking care of those day-to-day chores I have no time for during the school week. It's been wonderful. I got a haircut, so I no longer look like a shaggy pony. I went with my family to see a dog they're going to adopt. I made calls, registered for classes, put up holiday decorations, dug out my Christmas CDs, cleaned out my refrigerator, and folded about five hundred pieces of laundry that had been waiting in baskets for a long time. I swept, mopped, and vacuumed. I went through a pile of old bills and mail. I tried my darnedest to get my Christmas lights working but only managed to coax about 1/3 of them to burn. I went to see my uncle who lives in the northern part of the state. I sunned my feather mattress, chased my dogs, aired out my house, took naps with my kitten, and I refuse to apologize for one minute of it. I think now, even though I am very behind school-wise, I have the reserves built back up to jump in, get serious, and survive this last manic push to Christmas. I might even have a little bit of Christmas spirit.

1 comment:

  1. My best girlfriend could make doing laundry sound relaxing. Your weekend sounds perfect, a nester's dream. I know the next few weeks teaching are notoriously difficult, with students' minds elsewhere, in holiday mode.

    I listened to my Christmas Harry Connick Jr the other morning. He puts me in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....