Monday, March 25, 2013

Darling, You're Boring Me

Ever have that moment when someone who interested you just stops being worth fooling with?  The connection is there, and suddenly, like a flipped switch, it ends.  It's like the exact moment an opened Diet Mountain Dew loses its cool and its carbonation.  When that happens, you're left with a sweetish, citrusy something, but that magic fizz is gone forever.  

I had that moment this week.

It's a shame, I guess, but probably it was bound to happen.  It's not that either of us has undergone a transformative life experience or some such jazz.  What happened wasn't particularly reprehensible or cringe-worthy, but it was something so...I don't know...trite and cliched that I couldn't stand it.  I just wanted to respond, "Really?  You're going with THAT?  You couldn't find any other useless worn-out stereotype to embrace? What's left to say after THAT?"

Everybody is ordinary.  Everybody has unloveliness to them.  I don't mean to sound like a snob.  I have a channel of quiet a mile wide that likely borders on bone dull of a Monday night.  Maybe others have had that same experience with me.  

I also support the idea that boredom comes from a boring mind.  I've said that quote hundreds of times.  Maybe that's true of me.  I wouldn't tend to think it's dull up there, but I do measure things by my own system....and that tends to be neither the metric nor the English unit.

Really, we don't owe each other the courtesy of living up to expectations.  Staying true to what we believe is much more important.  We need to do the things that make us happy as long as we aren't harming anybody else.  I'm just not sure that what I saw is actually the pursuit of some high ideal.  I could have respected that.  Instead, it seemed more like something somebody was doing because they couldn't come up with anything better to occupy the time....  

Despite all that philosophical maneuvering  I can't help but feel a tiny touch sad.  It's a little like thinking something was an original only to find it's a cheap knock-off.  Is it my fault for not being able to tell the difference?  Probably.  It's disappointing nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....