Saturday, November 10, 2007

I'm Sure It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time...


Today, the delightful weather called me out of the house, so I decided to go to town to pick up some things to take care of some repairs around the house. I ventured in to our new Bed, Bath, and Beyond and spent WAY too much money along with what must have been most of the rest of Podunk, and then I went on to Lowe's to get some fluorescent tubes for a fixture in my laundry room and some other things.

While I was in Lowe's, I noticed Christmas has erupted full-force. I toured the aisles even though I feel a bit queasy doing it before Thanksgiving because it's become a sad fact that if you wait until after Thanksgiving, some things get hard to find. Go figure. I figure someday we'll have to start getting things for Christmas January 1st.

I looked up at the displays on top of the shelves, and I saw the inflatables. There were reindeer, Santas, and something I'm not quite sure I've ever seen before, an inflatable nativity scene. This is the one that gave me pause. I'm not a big fan of the inflatables anyway. I figure Roux would have a grand time shredding them into colorful ribbons all across the yard. The figures in this one, though, had frighteningly little chubby faces and a big fan blowing air into them all the time.

I guess it's great that the religious aspect of Christmas is "catching up" to the Santa aspect in popular decor, but I'm not sure that plug-in, synthetic fabric, light-up baby Jesus and wise men is really the answer to putting the right focus back in Christmas. I guess maybe anything that turns hearts and eyes back to the birth of hope and love has some redeeming qualities, even if it requires electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....