Saturday, November 24, 2007

New Fridge

Today about 11:00, two delivery men, after disentangling their truck from the cedar tree next to my house, brought a lovely stainless steel, French-door, freezer-on-the-bottom refrigerator to my house and set it up. This replaced a refrigerator that had been in the house since I was a child. I'm guessing the old one is more than twenty years old. It's been a part of this house for as long as I can remember. There have always been a jug of sweet tea and a block of cheddar cheese in it along with whatever other common daily foods and holiday delicacies have passed through it.

I felt ridiculously sentimental to see the old thing loaded up and rolled out. Even though its time had definitely passed and it had started to leak cold water on my floor on a regular basis, somehow it felt like a member of the family leaving. If it hadn't come down to the point of my worrying about coming home to a dead refrigerator, I probably wouldn't have changed it out, but there are some things that it's better to be proactive with.

The new one looks great, and for the first time, I don't have to bend over to see what's in the fridge. I can simply open the door and look. Being so tall, I was always having to just about crawl into the old one, especially when it came to the crisper drawers. This new one has clear drawers and shelves which I think will be good for helping me remember that I have things like apples and carrots before they get nasty.

I find myself just walking through the kitchen and looking at it or just going by and opening one of the doors. I'm sure this fascination will pass, but it's nice to have something new and reliable. I guess every twenty-five years or so, every appliance is entitled to retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....