Sunday, June 07, 2009

Wood Brothers



During those last hectic days of school, one of my students was in my classroom working on something, and he happened to recommend a CD to me, Ways Not to Lose by the Wood Brothers. Those last few days, we were all furiously working away on laptops, he on his, another student on hers, I on one loaned to me by Technology since mine had died an inconvenient death, and he played me a brief sample of their music. I liked what I heard well enough to write down the title on one of my ever-present Post-Its and stick it to the back of my Seagate case.

The other day when I was moving files from my resurrected school laptop to my Seagate, I found the Post-It, and I looked up the album on Grooveshark. It's great. I love the stripped down Southern sound of it, but what I like even more is the craft of the lyrics. If you've ever read any of my other blogs about music, you know I'm a sucker for a good songwriter, and whoever is writing these knows what he's about. The songs are original and intelligent without being pretentious.

I downloaded the mP3 album from amazon last night, and I already have favorites. I love "Luckiest Man" and "Chocolate on My Tongue," and of course any band than can pull off a respectable version of one of my favorite old hymns, "Angel Band," is going to get my respect. Another that I love the lyrics to is "The Truth Is the Light." The words and imagery in that song resonate with me.

I foresee this one going into heavy rotation with me. I'm glad I followed up on that recommendation. I'm going to link four songs here with Grooveshark. If you haven't heard it yet, you might want to check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....