Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Baby Steps

I went to PT for the first time Monday. The therapist did an assessment, took basic measurements, and checked to see how much progress I had made since surgery. The news was mostly good. I still have a lot of work to do, but I felt quietly optimistic when I left. She confirmed several things I had thought might be true about pushing myself further with exercises, weight-bearing, and so forth, and at no point did I want to cry or fall down, so I felt like it was another small victory. Any visit to the hospital where I don't want to do one of those two things is a small victory....

Today, I got my hair cut. It needed doing badly. I hate the cowlick in my bangs that starts to curl like horns whenever it gets the slightest bit too long, and I was already way past that point. After the haircut, Mom, my constant chauffeur, and I went to eat at an Italian restaurant for lunch. It was the first sit-down restaurant meal I've had in a very long time, and one of the first non-microwave meals in a while. It was a delightful eggplant florentine calzone, and along with the tiramisu for dessert (I was NOT missing that), it was a feast.

After lunch, I still felt mostly energetic and Mom needed birdseed, so we decided to go to Big Lots. I haven't been to any kind of store in months. The last time I went was just dreadful. I tried to do some Wal-Mart shopping myself, and the pain in my pre-surgery leg was excruciating. Today, I crutched around the store for about 30 minutes before I started hurting and wore myself completely out.

I only bought one or two small things, a laptop riser and some Pirouline, but just being able to get out and be mildly independent was very nice. Granted, I can't drive myself yet, and I had to ask Mom to bring the cart to the things I wanted, but at least I wasn't sitting in my big chair or lying on the couch. Motion felt liberating, even if the feeling was something of a self-deception. Sometimes the lies we tell ourselves are the most important ones....

Well, I still have to do my last set of exercises for today and crank on the knee one good last time tonight. I also want to read some more of this really good biography of the six wives of Henry VIII I'm working on right now, so I'll draw this to a close. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I'm going to trust that it will be more progress, and not a very, very ANGRY knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....