Sunday, February 20, 2011

Another by Neruda - Sonnet XVII

One Hundred Love Sonnets: XVII

I don’t love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz,   
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:   
I love you as one loves certain obscure things,   
secretly, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that doesn’t bloom but carries   
the light of those flowers, hidden, within itself,   
and thanks to your love the tight aroma that arose   
from the earth lives dimly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,   
I love you directly without problems or pride:
I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love,
except in this form in which I am not nor are you,   
so close that your hand upon my chest is mine,   
so close that your eyes close with my dreams.
Translated by Mark Eisner

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:56 AM CST

    I am always stunned by Neruda. You're right about the beauty of it bringing an exquisite pain.

    You might enjoy this project I did for BatB's WFOL – the Poem of the Day. I spent about a month searching for just the right poems illustrative of the theme. Out of the nine, two are Neruda, two Rilke. I could have easily chosen all Neruda.

    I'm a little anxious about what's happening with you but glad you found that feeling of rising up.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Poem of the Day project. Very nice stuff. I'm not writing as much as I would like to be. I have a story that needs finishing, but....le sigh...right now, I can barely stay atop the sea of silliness that surrounds me.

    I appreciate your kind words. Don't worry, though. I think things are finally going to get better now.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....