Thursday, February 03, 2011

Good Things

School was dismissed about 1:00 because of foul weather. Because the students left early, I got to eat lunch by myself in the privacy of my own room.  I didn't have to go through the ordeal of sitting through the Hell of 3rd Lunch as I've come to think of it counting the minutes until I could run away to freedom.  I turned on some Ella Fitzgerald on iTunes, ate my chicken salad sandwich, and read an article on MentalFloss.com.  It was surprisingly sweet.

After a slickish drive home, I checked the mail early, but there was nothing there.  I waited until near dark, went out to put my car under the shed, and took the opportunity to surreptitiously drive back down to the mailbox.  I had to take my MagLight and use it like a club to break open the rime of ice that was sealing the box shut, but inside was the newsletter from my power company and the package holding my diamond earrings made by Artifactum.

They're lovely.  Really, really lovely.  The diamonds in them may not be worth a lot (or they may, what the hell do I know?), but I love the way they look.  They are the perfect size, and they will easily go with things that are simple or fancy.  I am extremely happy with them.

My fountain pen is here, too.  It came the day of the massive migraine, so I haven't written about it yet.  I've been cheering myself up with it for the past two days.  It's a gorgeous thing, cream with deep purple and hints of chocolate swirling through it.  I find myself just sort of picking it up and absently running it through my fingers, watching the light play on the resin.  It's ridiculously lovely.  Beautiful, well-made, practical things that one can use everyday; there really are not enough of these items in the world.

My other good thing is not an object at all, but rather a long-hoped-for opportunity.  I found out that I'm going to be able to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and while I won't talk much about it here right now, it represents a professional step forward for me as well.  It makes me feel valued and valuable, maybe a little bit like the rough diamonds in my ears.

Maybe tonight, then, I won't have nightmares.  I can only think of one thing that would be better than the things I've put here now, and that, unfortunately, is not possible in any way at all.  I will settle for the happinesses I have been blessed with.  They are bountiful enough right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....