Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Wide Open Spaces

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." -- John Keats

Today, I had a dark epiphany about myself. I won't go into the details, but I learned something unpleasant about my personality. I am still processing the information, but I suddenly want to run away. I want to find a place where there is nothing but me and some trees until I get this dealt with.

I use Webshots for my screensaver and wallpaper on my computer. I have put it on every computer I've ever had. I love the scenic nature shots. They remind me there are so many beautiful places in the world to see.

I wish I could just dive into the screen like a figure in a surrealist painting or a cartoon character. Wouldn't it be amazing to escape like that? There are two pictures in particular that call to me. One is this avenue of oaks and the light streaming through them is golden. I want so much to be walking beneath those oaks and hear the sound of wind rustling their leaves.

Another is a beach somewhere in Costa Rica. As a general rule, I am not a beach person, but this shot is at sunset and the purples and reds make it look like a scene from another world. I want to go sit there in that twilight and let the waves gradually eat away this problem like a sandcastle at high tide.

I think I'm going to go take a long, hot shower and walk on my beach and down my tree-lined path in my mind. Perhaps the solace of nature can be gained vicariously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....