Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Random musings from a day out of school

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." -- Ambrose Bierce

I went to get my CPR certification renewed today. I had to take a full day off work to go do it, and I spent the better part of the day cooped up in a too-cold room around gray-speckled plastic folding tables watching students from the local community college nursing program rudely sleep through the presentation. If I'm ever really sick, I hope that none of them is ever in charge of keeping me alive. Everything I did could have been done in about 30 minutes, but par for the course, it went on for 4 hours instead.

I bought myself a new microwave today. On the global scale of indulgences, I'm sure it doesn't rate very high, but I love it. It's brushed stainless steel, and it looks so nice. My old microwave had gotten very scary. Paint was coming off the inside, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get it clean anymore. I microwaved a potato in it tonight for its inaugural run. It cooked the whole potato. That combined with the lack of the bright orange glow coming out of the back.... just kidding. It's great. Now, though, I want the refridgerator that matches.

I have gotten very deeply into my kitchen. For the first time in a long time, I feel like cooking and taking care of the house. I have been looking around on eBay for brightly colored 50's tablecloths, and I recently bought the cutest dropleaf table that I'm trying to refinish. I wish I knew more about tools and such so I could make some big changes, but that's not an option right now.

The house we were in for the CPR training was fabulous. It's a turn-of-the-century two story in an area with a lot of historic, but slightly run-down, houses that are being reclaimed by dentists and other businesses. The Red Cross just got this one and is still in the process of finishing things. The ceilings were about 20 ft, and coffered. The window hardware, the light switches, and even the fireplace lamps were all original. I know I was drooling. What would it be like to live in one of those wonderful old palaces? Even the downstairs, off the kitchen bathroom was amazing. It had a pedestal sink with some of the neatest hardware I've ever seen, modern or vintage. I wish I could have stuck it the whole thing in my purse and walked out. Since the sink stood about 3 1/2 feet tall, I don't think that would have worked. Someday, I hope I can find fixtures like that for my own house.

Now, even though I have huge, vast amounts of school work waiting, I'm going to take a shower and read for awhile. Of course, tomorrow I'll have to play catch-up, but I think it's worth it on a rainy night like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....