Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Gentle Art of Procrastination

One thing that's good about procrastination is that you always have something planned for tomorrow.
Gil Stern

This is a record...three postings in one day. Can you tell that I have reams of papers waiting to be graded?

It's amazing how appealing all other things become when I have papers to grade. In fact, I really cannot get any work done here at home. That's the main reason I stay at school so long each day; I know that saying, "I'll do it tonight at home" is just a big lie. It's not even a good lie. Nobody else is fooled, and I certainly know myself well enough not to believe it.

Through the years, I've gotten myself into all kinds of jams because of procrastination. I'll never forget the all-important paper in grad school I neglected to even start writing until 1:00 a.m. the day it was due. I think I spent most of that time procrastinating by playing a game on the computer.

Today, so far, I've gone to town with my dad for lunch, wandered around our local home improvement store aimlessly, refilled bird feeders (the feathered pigs are cleaning me out), looked over two or three well-thumbed catalogs, put away laundry, and of course, blogged. I keep telling myself that in thirty minutes, I'm going to get serious and get the work done. In reality, next thing I know it will be midnight and I'll just write it off and go to bed.

I think I'll try to break the cycle. I'm going to finish this off and start work on the handout my AP kids will need tomorrow. On the other hand, the house could use a general tidying, and I think Yelldo needs a bath....

3 comments:

  1. I want to wish you a happy birthday - I hope I haven't missed it. I very much enjoyed my 30's. I was more focused, less naive, more confident, less self-conscious.

    My daughter has just turned 20 and I think suddenly taking "advanced procrastination". I so, so, so hope she gets over it. I was comforted to know that YOU put off a paper in grad school. It gives me hope that she will come through this time and accomplish much, as you have.

    Again, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind wishes. The birthday is Monday. I'm sort of in "countdown" mode.

    Don't worry too much about your daughter. There was a lot of procrastination in college. I think everybody I knew was in a state of perpetual putting-off or panicked haste to complete project x or paper y. I think it's just part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good - happy belated birthday NOT! 30 is good. Eat cake.

    I know I put off stuff in college and grad school but I can't remember the specifics now! Selective memory I suppose. I do remember some odd moments of panic. My concern is over the top, I'm sure (I hope) but of course, I don't want her to make ANY of the mistakes I made. If only there was a degree in worry, I could make full professor.

    And about your newest post. My very best girlfriend met her very great husband through Country Connections, a similar but older organization in sparsley populated areas in the upper Midwest!

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....