Sunday, December 03, 2006

Holiday Procrastination

I am hopelessly behind with my work for my two night classes, so of course, today I got my Christmas tree, hung the lights and the ornaments, fixed the lights on my porch, and did laundry and other housework. The more behind I get with school, the spiffier my house and my holiday decorations get. I'm sure it's a kind of sickness.

It's nice, though, to see the tree up and all the lights glittering. I love Christmas, as I've said here before, and now when I'm coming home at dark-thirty from the endless pageant of night class crud, I will be able to see my lights welcoming me home. That along with a heavy dose of Christmas carols in the car and during my off period are keeping me in a mostly Christmasy mood.

Yesterday, I went to the Chimneyville Crafts Festival in Jackson. It's so nice to go somewhere and see items lovingly made by hand rather than mass-produced and cheaply-made things. Part of the experience is getting to talk to the craftspeople, too. I had a thirty minute conversation with a potter whose husband has an anagama (Japanese style wood fired kiln) in Tennessee. It was a touch of Japan, and I was thrilled. The piece I bought from them, a splendid raven figure, is something I had been thinking of since last year's show. They only make two each year, and last year both had been sold when I got there. This year, I was able to buy one. It's sitting in regal black satin splendor on my living room shelves.

Tonight, I played for church and also wound up getting drafted to sing. I was a nervous wreck, as usual, but I managed to get it out okay. The song, "What Child Is This?", is one of my favorites, so that helped. Now, I suppose I need to do a little class work before the almighty teacher bedtime kicks in. Sigh. Where are those magic ruby slippers or genie lamps when you really need them?

6 comments:

  1. would that be John Ray in Sewanee? or somewhere near Chattanooga.

    wow, only 2 a year and you have one! Isn't that great. You better watch kitty though. Mine seem to know when something new comes in and it needs nosing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artist's name was Peter Rose, and I think he's at a school near Knoxville. I have the information, but not near me.

    I put it "up" where hopefully kitties will leave it alone. After all, there's a glittery Christmas tree to distract them now.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this and what do you know, I live off Tazewell Pike a few miles from his studio but I pass it on my way to town when I go. I know exactly where he lives. I usually go to the Southern Highlands Craftshow once a year so I'll look for his work. I found a photo of a clay quail. It was exquisite.

    PETER ROSE
    6319 Tazewell Pike
    Knoxville, TN 37918
    (865) 689-5923

    Peter Rose has been a professional artist for more than 25 years. Originally from Australia, Peter has a Bachelor of Education degree in History and Art. He has received an advanced trainee scholarship in Ceramics in Australia and has studied and apprenticed in arts academies in that country as well as in Japan. For several years, Peter has resided in the Knoxville area working as a ceramics artist and teaching as a resident artist in area schools. Peter is an active member of the Foothills Craft Guild, Southern Highland Craft Guild, Tennessee Association of Craft Artists, and the Australian Potter’s Guild (American Correspondent). He has shown in several museums, galleries, and craft festivals and has received numerous awards for his work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the artist. I envy you living so close to the studio. I hope you'll go check it out. His stuff is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you'd understand this. Sam's has a display of Irish cheeses for the first time. Can you guess how many I bought?

    Sam's is a dangerous place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very dangerous place. I have avoided it stealthily for the past few weeks, but Irish cheese sounds like something I'll have to explore...

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....