Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Migraines

I went to see a neurologist today about my headaches. It seems that in addition to all the other bum genes I inherited, a "migraine gene" seems to be one of them. My grandmother had them, but they mostly skipped Mom. Isn't it wonderful to be the generation to which the random gene skips?

The doctor was very nice. I wasn't sure what to expect, but he was actually a double major with English in his undergrad. That's so very rare. He had two really interesting things to share about links between literature and neurological conditions that I had never heard before, so of course I had a good time. Anytime I can learn something new, I'm pretty much happy. Maybe that's a coping mechanism, but through the years and through the medical experiences, a decision to just look at it all as a source of education has helped.

He gave me a prescription for a migraine prevention med to take daily, and I'm to have an MRI Tuesday. Just the thought of being rolled into that tube distresses me. I'm very claustrophobic. He's given me some Xanax, something I haven't ever had before, so I imagine that I won't care what they do to me. The last time I had one, I was only in up to my chest so they could get images of my knee. I remember it sounding like about a million of those windup monkeys playing tin drums. Maybe if I can just keep that image in mind, it won't be so bad.

Well, tomorrow is Parent Teacher Conference Day, and I'm sure that's going to be a barrel of laughs, so I am headed off to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Auggh. If only the lovely attractive doctors of Grey's Anatomy or House were administering the MRI.

    Will the parents come dressed "up" for halloween? urr, homecoming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Don't I wish. That might provide some comic relief for the day. Maybe some of them will show up as "Concerned Parents" rather than "Righteous Avengers" this year. Maybe they could just hand out some costumes at the door along with the report cards....

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....