Saturday, February 09, 2013

Downton Abbey

Bates the Pit Bull
(And if I've blogged it before, I'm blogging it again.  Get over it.)

I resisted it for a long time.  It was one of those things where too many people were talking about it, and I thought it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy.  Last summer sometime, I saw it on Amazon Prime and decided to give it a try.  Oh my God, how I love this show.  Whenever I am sick or sad, I want to watch Downton.  I realize that this is becoming a cliche of a certain type of woman, probably, but I really don't care.

Thomas the Siamese Cat
One of the things I bought for myself for my birthday was the third season on DVD.  I'm watching the season finale right now, and I have to say that this just keeps getting better and better.  I love the lushness of the sets.  I love the changing nature of the characters.  I love the fact that I am frequently surprised by what happens.

It's graceful and elegant.  It's lighthearted and funny.  It's heartbreaking and tragic.  Not every moment in the lives of the characters is happy.  There is real pain, real loss, and also real joy. New characters enter and are every bit as interesting as the ones who have been there from the start.  When it's compared to the tripe that masquerades as storylines in most other shows, or God forbid, reality TV, there is very little else that compares.

Matthew the Australian Shepherd
I don't have a wine party or sit down with a box of Godiva when I watch it.  I don't aspire to Edwardian fashion (except maybe the HATS).  I have to say, though, it's a very pleasant way to spend a hour or two.

All of these Downton characters as animals come from the delightful Etsy shop Toadbriar.  You can get them and see more by clicking here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....