Saturday, February 10, 2007

Rat Rescue

Of all the things I didn't think I'd be doing tonight, rescuing mice is probably at the top of that list. Dillon and Pearl managed to corner one, but Dilly is still so young that she's not quite sure what to do with wiggly things. They chased it under the desk in my living room, and then Pearl grabbed it in her teeth and took off to the sun room growling like some sort of feral creature instead of the overfed lapcat she is.

I ran to the kitchen, got my heavy leather work gloves from my junk drawer, raced back, and grabbed up the mouse. Pearl, needless to say, was most displeased. There was blood on the mouse, but it was still kicking, so I hope she didn't mortally wound it. I took it outside and dropped it into some tall grass away from the house.

I have rat poison in my attic and under my house, so I guess this action was a bit paradoxical, but I just couldn't stand the thought of the cats torturing it to death. It probably ran right back under the house and proceded to chew up my phone lines again in vengence, and Pearl is currently in full savage-cat hunting stalk looking for another one, but at least I feel like I did the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. I had to close up my cat door and permanently seal my cats inside. No more frogs, birds, mice, voles, salamanders, rabbits (yes, big and baby) brought in for the *final act*. I don't blame you, but your kitty will pace all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did she pace all night, but last night, she pounced another one. I guess I should be glad she's getting the mice, but I really wish I didn't have to "referee."

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....