Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Birthday

The day I had been dreading so deeply turned out to be one of the best birthdays I've had. It's funny how things turn out that way sometimes.

My second period class rigged a scam involving my being called to the office for an "emergency", decorations, flowers, and cake. They gave me a card, and one of my students who has just returned from a trip to India gave me a small model of the Taj Mahal, a place I have always wanted to see. I almost cried.

Fourth period was disgruntled because second period stole their idea of an office emergency, but they, too came armed with cake and gifts. They gave me a gift certificate to a local bookstore and a very sweet card.

At lunch, my dear sweet friend brought me another cake and the group I eat lunch with gave me a card they'd made and signed, and my sugar trifecta was complete.

That night I went to dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant with my Mom and Dad, something we almost never do anymore, and afterwards, I went to a concert. Bela Fleck and Chick Corea did a show at our local renovated theater, and they were amazing. I cut my night class to go, and it was the best decision I've made in a long time.

All in all, it was a splendid day. I really needed it, too. It helped me get through the day that followed with a smile on my face, and that's no mean feat.

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm glad to hear this cause you were not anticipating this date with real enthusiasm. I love Bela Fleck. He could make almost anything bad, way better. I think your day sounds wonderful.

    But hey, thats a lot of cake! Lucky you. I made my mom (who's a diabetic and can't eat it but she has to get a cake) a 3-layer super chocolate with the cooked buttercream fudge frosting. I'd not made the cooked variety before so I started a day early (her b-day was Sat) in case I ruined it and would need to start over. It turned out tall, didn't lean and was moist. I got to keep it too, so double yea!

    Happy Birthday, really, Cygnus. I wish the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wishes. So far, this year is looking up. I feel so full of energy for some reason. Maybe I'm still running on cake frosting. :)

    Your cake sounds great! I love layer cakes. I need to fire up the KitchenAid and make one. I haven't made a layer cake in a long, long time. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....