Thursday, January 01, 2009

Bugs Bunny Marathon

I've been worthless the past couple of days as I've been recovering from Monday. It's been delightful. Today, I watched a marathon of Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network. It's still on, in fact, and I'm getting to see "What's Opera, Doc?" I haven't seen this one in years, and it's absolutely one of my favorites. This is the one with the "spear and magic helmet."

Every time I sit down to watch these cartoons, I marvel at how detailed the backgrounds are and how lovely the art in them is. There is such attention to detail in them. Even the crowd scenes where the doesn't need to be a lot of differentiation in the backdrop is lovingly done. They please the eye in a way that most of the digital stuff I see today just doesn't.

I also love the use of classical music in them. I'll never forget going to see either The Marriage of Figaro or The Barber of Seville at IU and hearing the music that Bugs is using when he's giving Elmer a haircut in "The Rabbit of Seville." The friend I went with and I were cracking up over it, and as I looked around the auditorium, the vast majority of the crowd was making the hand motions like Bugs massaging Elmer's bald pate. It was surreal. Uh-oh...it just came on, speak of the devil... Here comes the very scene....

Maybe it's just the loving nostalgia that comes to all things cherished in one's childhood, but these old cartoons never fail to bring a smile to my face. I have some of them in the big DVD collections Warner Brothers released a few years ago, and whenever I come home and feel crummy, they can always be relied upon to give me a good lift. I'm certainly glad I got to see all of these again today. It's been a great way to relax and recharge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....