Friday, January 02, 2009

Muninn



Muninn is the name of one of Odin's two ravens, Hugin being the other. Muninn is Memory and Hugin is Thought. Every morning, he would send them to fly across Midgard to gather information for him.

As a part of my continuing love of ravens, I named my new 500 G external hard drive Muninn. I thought it appropriate. I found the Seagate Freeagent I've been looking for on such a sale today at OfficeMax that I bought it early. I wasn't planning on getting the 500 G size, and I wasn't going to get one until next month, but the price cut was tremendous and it came with a free dock. I wound up saving about $80 on the whole deal.

The drive is sleek and lovely. It's currently in its docking cradle in the back devouring the memories contained in my desktop. It has an arc of LEDs on it that softly glows while it works, a gentle pulse of light. I love it when something functional is made beautiful as well. There's really no reason why things can't be both.

I am hoping Muninn is going to be a good solution to the problem of two computers, one at work, one at home, that I've been having. Despite my best efforts to the contrary and frequent emailings, there have been many occasions that the document I need has been the place I'm not. Since Muninn will fit neatly into my pocket and travel with me, maybe there will be less of that now. It won't be quite as amazing as having a raven on the shoulder, but I think it's as close as I'm going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....