Monday, January 28, 2013

Actually, Quite-a-Lot

Quite a lot has happened since I wrote last.  I've sat down with the computer several times, but each has wound up involved with other things than coming here.  I am taking a moment now to try to catch up.

I got a call yesterday saying that I'd been nominated to be the Star of the Week, a community member profiled and highlighted in our local newspaper.  I was floored.  I do not think of myself as overly interesting.  I was honored, though.  I saw the completed interview in today's paper.  It was strange to see myself there, picture and all, but nice, too.  I don't think I came off sounding like an idiot.

I was also informed that I have been chosen by one of students for a special kind of recognition.  It was totally unexpected, but I am so grateful for what it represents.  To be chosen by one's students as worthy is probably the highest honor and vote of confidence a teacher can hope for.  Once I am sure all of it is official and not-a-secret, I'll talk more about this.  Right now, I've said about as much as I need to.

I found out about and have been working on an application for a two-week summer trip to Japan to  collaborate and exchange information with teachers there and with other teachers from around the States.  I finished the application last night, and now all that's left is the waiting.

I'm also waiting to hear about the AP Reading this summer.  I think it's time or past time for the first round of notifications to come out (I can't find my letter), so I might not have been selected this time.  I am worried that missing last year for TGC has hurt me in the selection process.  Only time will tell.

Regardless of all the things still up in the air and while tomorrow might be a hammer right between the eyes, I have a good, good feeling about 2013.  Thirteen, for a variety of reasons, has always been lucky for me.  Maybe this whole year will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....