Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fede Gimmel

This is a fede gimmel or gimmal ring.  These rings are made of two, or as in the case of this one, three rings that swivel open.  The hands open, and there is a heart inside.  You can see an example of an opened one below.  It's a different ring, but I think you can get the idea.  These were used as men's wedding rings or women's engagement/betrothal rings during the Victorian period.  (By the way...I like the word "betrothed."  If I ever get to that point, I'd like to be "betrothed" instead of "engaged." Betrothed.  Yeah.)

I love this.  To me, it's a fascinating variation on the Claddagh.  The same symbolism of eternal unity and companionship is there.  The heart is hidden, a private thing, on this ring, but it's lovely.  The detailed hands, one masculine with its shirt sleeve, and one feminine with its ruffle, are charming.  I have seen lots of different types of old jewelry, but so much of it is intended for women.  The fact that this has so much detail and could be worn by men, too, delights me.

If I were getting married, that distant misty if, then I think this would be a cool band for that imaginary husband of mine to have.  I would hope he'd be interested in it.  I don't know.  Maybe it's too fancy for a modern guy.  I just adore the history, the symbolism, and the function of it.  I'd like to think Imaginary Husband would look down at his ring, think of us together, and smile.  Isn't that the purpose of those things, after all?

Oh, and if you want the ultra-awesome one from the top picture, I found it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....