Saturday, July 09, 2011

A Thought I'm Having Lately

If you miss me, you can’t text, you can’t email, you can’t post it on my Facebook wall. If you really miss me, you come and see me.

~ No Strings Attached
__________________________________________________________

Just a thought I'm having lately.  Some people I can only "see" via electronic communication because of the distances that separate us.  That makes this medium a blessing, enabling me to maintain relationships that would otherwise fail.  Somehow, though, it has become a replacement for others that I should be working harder to maintain, some kind of pretend game when the real thing is available if I'd only take the effort. It allows me to wrap my comfortable solitude around myself and pretend I'm being sociable even when I'm actually only going through the most rudimentary of motions with the people who are the most worthy of more. I need to be getting in the car, picking up the phone instead of putting my fingers on the keyboard.  The reason is quite simple, and it was brought home to me today once again.  The interaction just isn't the same.  

Maybe sometimes there's no other way but the quick message dashed off and responded to whenever the situation allows.  Maybe sometimes the demands of this insanity we politely call life doesn't permit anything else, really.  However, I'm damn sure going to try to find a way to spend more time seeking something more than the quick Wall post, the casual text.  I'm losing too much of value if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....