Friday, March 24, 2006

A Month?

Today was a mixed up kind of day. It was "grades in the computer" day, which is never very encouraging as I realize how many of my students haven't quite figured out that passing might involve turning in a homework assignment. There are always some who have that magic change of heart and suddenly start doing what they need to, but there are also even more who just continue to slide down. It's a helpless feeling sometimes.

My AP classes are starting Chaucer, and I'm sure there will be a full-fledged blog post about it later. I love Chaucer. He was such an acute observer of humanity. His characters have all the same silliness and weakness of real people. I respect writers who can do that. We're all so full of little quirks and flaws, but I think a lot of writers are scared to touch that. To me, that's one of the best parts of us. I know I have enough "quirks" to fill a wheelbarrow. I would probably have been excellent fodder for Chaucer. I'm just ridiculous enough most days....

After school, I went on a quest for 120 film and discovered that there is none to be had here in Podunk. Nor is there any to be found in the slightly larger Podunk City to the east. In fact, in Podunk City, I was told that the 120 was on backorder and that they hoped they might get some NEXT MONTH. A month? What is this? Pony Express days? Are they having gnomes mine it out of a hillside and craft it by hand? Is it elfin magic? Impatience, impatience, impatience....

I suppose I'm going to have to go to Jackson to get the film. That will be okay. I've been looking for an excuse to head that way to see my best friend who lives out that way, anyway. I haven't been able to go visit with her for awhile. I'll probably have to wait until Blessed Payday gets here and then I can make the film and a couple of other things I need my April Splurge. Until then, I will have a good chance to practice my "patience skills", always sorely in need of betterment. Maybe I'll just go hold the camera some more and *pretend* there's film in it.... :)

4 comments:

  1. Have you looked at B&H photo online? I order b/w paper, film and darkroom chemicals from them and get excellent products and service. I checked and they have several brands of 120 film. Fast delivery too.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some online research today, actually. I have looked at adorama.com and I think I've found what I need. I will look at B&H, too, though. I'll order early this coming week and should have it by next weekend. Film and payday of the first. Wow! I won't know what to do with myself. :)

    Thanks for the advice. This is all new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about adorama. I think I got some things from them through ebay - used darkroom things. I should check them against b&h for price.

    Here is a link to one of the easiest to use & understand books I found about darkroom creating and film processing. Its called "into your darkroom step by step".

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936262060/sr=8-1/qid=1143410881/ref=sr_1_1/104-7230640-7111919?%5Fencoding=UTF8

    I'm trying to get my self to bid on a digital SLR for my daughter. Didn't you say you had a Nikon? What do you think of it? I'm familiar only with Canon cameras. I can't decide if I want to take a chance on a used one or wait til Christmas and see if I can't get the grandmas to chip in on a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Nikon F80, and I love it. I bought it and a Nikkor 20-300 zoom when I was living in Japan, and I got a pretty good price on them. I used them all over Japan and took it to the UK last summer. I have no complaints about it.

    I don't have a digital Nikon. When I was in Japan, they were still very new and about twice as much as a regular camera. I have a friend in Japan who is a camera guru and his primary goal in life was to get one.

    My digital is a compact little Fujifilm I got at the same place in Japan. I like it a lot for quick shots and webshots, but it's not nearly the same grade as those digital Nikons.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....